Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 18:35:47 +0200 (EET)
From:      Dungeonkeeper <zethix@sofiaonline.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   shell issue

Hi there,

First of all: I want to apologise for my poor english.

Today me and a few friends of mine discussed the shells' (well, shell is
actualy one of: sh/bash/csh/tcsh... not tested for ksh) command line expansion
routines, mainly because of a problem discovered by one of my friends. I'm not
sure if this is something new... So, let me explain what he found. It seems
that the shell wants to allocate enough memory to hold the entire command line
when expanding all of the arguments and we can force it to allocate hudge
ammount of memory with a tricky command like this:

carnivoro# /bin/csh -c `cat /dev/urandom`

(I use tcsh here (the carnivoro# prompt), but the same thing happens when
testing with sh/bash/tcsh) In this situation, the shell tries to allocate enough
memory to hold what it
reads from /dev/urandom, because it must be passed as a command line argument
to /bin/csh ( actually, any command will be ok ). So, the shell eats more and
more memory (on my machine (3.4-STABLE) - 251 MB) before the kernel decided to
take some action (like killing some processes... started by other users?
system services? or... in my case... crash :). My friend said that he sent a
mail to bugtraq describing this problem. Those who are interested can read it.

I believe that the shells have a maximum command lenght, so... I'm trying now
to make the shell use the same command lenght when expanding such commands. I
think this is the best way to avoid this problem. Any ideas?

Best regards: zethix

What is worth doing is worth the trouble of asking somebody to do.