Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 05:40:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Burke <ben@dubuque365.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/43592: mktime rejects dates at the start of daylight savings time

The following reply was made to PR bin/43592; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ben Burke <ben@dubuque365.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: bin/43592: mktime rejects dates at the start of daylight
	savings time
Date: 04 Oct 2002 07:36:58 -0500

 Andre-

 I though I queried for that... but this is the second duplicate that I
 missed. Sorry about that.

 I read the conclusions in 15520 and I strongly disagree with those
 conclusions. Please consider that posix doesn't limit the values to the
 ranges for the fields... so for instance you can ask for the 47th day of
 a month and you don't get an error, you get what would be the 47th day
 of that month of the year, if it had 47 days. You can ask for negative
 days as well, obviously there is no such thing as a negative day. It's
 useful because people do date math with these functions.

 Is it really that unreasonable to do the same "scaling" in the case of
 daylight saving time? Should everyone who writes for the arguably proper
 behavior of other systems have to put in a workaround for FreeBSD's DST
 blackout? It's not just 1 second, it's a whole missing hour, every year
 after 1986, it's a little different before that. I know that in the case
 of my PHP programs, I'd have to wrap mktime again just for one operating
 system.

 What's the argument to keep it this way?