Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:50:44 EST
From:      "Alistair M" <tlli@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: raid1 on vinum

Hi,

I newfs-ed the vinum drives, and was able to mount them. I am not sure what
to do from here. My final aim is to get my root partition mirrored.
Since I have mounted the vinum drives, do I need to copy over my / directory
to my vinum partition (eg. /m_root which is newly mounted), because I
thought by doing vinum start, data is automatically copied over.

I am also not sure if I am supposed to do these steps:
* vinum create...
* newfs -v /dev/vinum/volume_name
* mount /dev/vinum/volume_name /mount_point
* vinum start
* edit rc.conf and add start_vinum
* reboot machine
* Am I finally supposed to edit /etc/fstab and make my vinum drives
mountable instead of my original / partition.

I am very confused now.

Is that right. I know I have it all wrong.
Thanks again.
alistair.

On Wednesday, 27 September 2000 at 12:56:59 -0500, Alistair M wrote:
 >> On Wednesday, 27 September 2000 at 12:23:39 -0500, Alistair M wrote:
 >>> My problem is I don't know where to go from here. How do I get the
 >>> data from ad2 to ad3 once I have configured vinum (or have
 >>> I?!?!). If I reboot my machine at this stage, I just get a whole lot
 >>> of garbage on the screen and it justs hangs.
 >>
 >> Your problem is that you're not supplying the information I ask for.
 >> Please do so.  Until you do, I do not intend to reply.
 >
 > 2 drives:

No drive information?  Is that really like that, or did something go
wrong on the copy?

 > 4 volumes:
 > V root            State: up	Plexes:       2	Size:       6149 MB
 > V root_home       State: up	Plexes:       2	Size:       3077 MB
 > V var             State: up	Plexes:       2	Size:       3077 MB
 > V usr             State: up	Plexes:       2	Size:       6149 MB
 >
 > 8 plexes:
 > P root.p0        C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       6140 MB
 > P root.p1        C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       6149 MB
 > P root_home.p0   C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       3068 MB
 > P root_home.p1   C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       3077 MB
 > P var.p0         C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       3068 MB
 > P var.p1         C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       3077 MB
 > P usr.p0         C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       6140 MB
 > P usr.p1         C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       6149 MB
 >
 > 8 subdisks:
 > S root.p0.s0        State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       6140 MB
 > S root.p1.s0        State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       6149 MB
 > S root_home.p0.s0   State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       3068 MB
 > S root_home.p1.s0   State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       3077 MB
 > S var.p0.s0         State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       3068 MB
 > S var.p1.s0         State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       3077 MB
 > S usr.p0.s0         State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       6140 MB
 > S usr.p1.s0         State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       6149 MB

This looks fine.

Not for the commands you said you issued:

 >>> When I do a vinum start -w, I get an error saying it can't find any
 >>> vinum drives.
 >>
 >> I don't see that in the output.
 >>

 > and you know that my problem is that I don't know how to get vinum
 > to copy the data from /dev/ad2 to /dev/ad3.

You can't.  Vinum uses drives only for allocating subdisks, nothing
else.

 > I can't seem to find the vinum_history file in /var/tmp/

Oops, sorry, it's in /var/run/vinum_history now.  I've updated the
documentation.

OK, now I don't understand what your problem is.  The output above
shows that all is OK.  Can you newfs the volumes?  Mount them?  If
not, what happens?

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.