Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:01:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        smithi@nimnet.asn.au
Cc:        hrs@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a couple /etc/rc.firewall questions

On 23 Aug, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 08:44:53 +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
>  > Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org> wrote
>  >   in <201508222103.t7ML3gAx000794@gw.catspoiler.org>:
>  >
>  > tr> The example /etc/rc.firewall has provisions to use either in-kernel NAT
>  > tr> or natd for the open and client firewall types, but the simple filewall
>  > tr> type only has code for natd.  Is there any reason that in-kernel NAT
>  > tr> could not be used with the simple firewall type?
>  >
>  >  I think there is no particular reason.  Simple rule was just not updated.
>
> I did send you and -ipfw@ a patch for that on several occasions since
> Feb. 2013, though I did fail to push it into the 3-4 PRs it affected.
>
> The attached patch addresses that, chooses kernel NAT over natd(8) if
> both were enabled in rc.conf, updates some commentary and fixes an
> overwordy line in 'workstation'.  Just now checked it against HEAD.
>
>  > tr> After allowing connections to selected TCP ports and then denying all
>  > tr> other incoming TCP setup connections from ${oif}, the simple firewall
>  > tr> code in /etc/rc.firewall then permits all other TCP setup connections:
>  > tr> 	# Allow setup of any other TCP connection
>  > tr> 	${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to any setup
>  > tr> This is potentially undesirable since it allows unrestricted TCP
>  > tr> connections between "me" and the inside network.  When I changed this to
>  > tr> 	${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to any out via ${oif} setup
>  > tr> I was able to open TCP connections from the firewall box to the outside,
>  > tr> but NATed connections from inside network to the outside were blocked.
>  > tr> If I run "ipfw show", it appears that the TCP setup packets are falling
>  > tr> through to the final implicit deny all rule, but I don't see any obvious
>  > tr> reason.
>  >
>  >  A TCP setup packet coming from a host on the internal LAN to the NAPT
>  >  router falls into the last deny-all rule because it does not match if
>  >  you added "out via ${oif}" to that rule.  Does the following
>  >  additional rule work for you?
>  >
>  >  ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to any out via ${oif} setup
>
> That looks ok, maybe some UDP too?  Adding some stateful rules is
> another option for dealing with inside hosts' external requests.

I don't have a specific need for UDP between inside and outside, so I
didn't bother with that.  One end all my UDP connections is currently
always the firewall box itself.

I did just add stateful rules for TCPv6 between the inside and outside
to replicate the stateful behaviour of TCPv4 NAT.

>  >  ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to not me in via ${iif} setup
>
> If you want to deny inside hosts access to host services, that'll do it.
>
> The other long-term issue with 'simple' is that it permits no ICMPv4 at
> all.  Neither inside nor outside, no pings, no PMTU, nothing .. although
> curiously allows selected ICMP for ipv6.  I usually add something like:
>
>  ${fwcmd} add pass icmp from any to any icmptype 0,3,8,11
>
> If you don't want to allow pings from outside your net, preceded with:
>
>  ${fwcmd} add deny icmp from any to any in recv ${oif} icmptype 8

Yeah, I alway end up adding ICMPv4 rules.