Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:30:25 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Ken McGlothlen' <mcglk@serv.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Trying to use telnetd.

True.. that is insecure, but I'm glad to hear that you have it working.
I don't remember what I had said in the last e-mail (exactly) but you have a
few options to make it a bit more secure.

1.  You could install sshd and force your friend to use ssh instead of
telnet to connect to your computer.
2.  You could setup tcpwrappers.  This way you can restrict what hosts are
allowed to connect to the telnet port.
3.  You could setup ipfw (or ipfilter) and deny everything on that port,
except from the host(s) that your friend would be telnetting in from.

(I had a similar problem to you several months ago.)

Good luck to you,
-Chris