Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:11:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Piotr Gnyp <toread@discordia.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3-R-p5: frequent kernel panics

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Piotr Gnyp wrote:

> Hi.
>
> First - some details:
>
> uname -pr
> 5.3-RELEASE-p5 i386
>
> kernel:
> http://discordia.pl/~toread/OBLIVION
>
> dmesg:
> http://discordia.pl/~toread/dmesg.txt
>
> mptable:
> http://discordia.pl/~toread/mptable.txt
>
> System frequently crashes with kernel panic - some examples:
> http://discordia.pl/~toread/crash4.txt
> http://discordia.pl/~toread/crash5.txt

Please capture the panic messages and relevant kernel output along with
your traces. It helps to know what the system was doing when it tanked,
and the trap info decodes the frame in an easy-to-digest format for
humans. :)

Your traces are quite bizarre... somehow ttwakeup() jumps off into space.
Line 2370 of ttwakeup() is ttecho() which implies your system is suffering
from severe memory corruption, or your kernel binary is damaged.  I'd
suggest doing a fresh buildworld+kernel and running memtest86. Also the
mpt driver in 5.3 is known to react badly to SCSI errors but I don't think
it runs off and randomly corrupts memory.

Also check the system event log for any errors logged from hardware, such
as ECC corrections, power problems, or temperature alarms.  The ProLiants
(this is a DL380 or something of that nature?) have sophisticated internal
monitoring and can log events even if the OS is damaged.

What were your kernel compile flags?

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org