Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2015 17:39:57 +1000
From:      unisal <unisal@westnet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-desktop@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern_securelevel & X11

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 18:48:18 -0600
Kevin Zheng <kevinz5000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sal,
>
> Thanks for giving FreeBSD a whirl!

Hi Kevin,

> Also keep in mind that funny things *might* happen when running Xorg
> on a system with elevated securelevel. Xorg needs to access system
> memory, which is denied at higher securelevels.

... yeah "*might* happen" but did not.

Assuming that the final result is the same either midifing /etc/rc.conf
or on the run (#sysctl ...) I have choisen the second because the first
method did not let the kernel load the firmware for my graphic card.

Anyway, just to live dangerously, I was using X11
(Office,Tor,Mail,CUPS,Xsane) tring to crash it, which didn't happen.

For an instable FreeBSD version is no too bad.
I simply thought to share this aiming to create an howto for a Desktop
FreeBSD version and attract more people toward FreeBSD.

> Best,
> Kevin Zheng

Cheers Kevin.

Sal