Date:      27 Jan 2001 16:51:28 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        GLOBALLINK2001@aol.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Hacking (i tried not to make it lame)

Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> writes:
> * GLOBALLINK2001@aol.com <GLOBALLINK2001@aol.com> [010125 19:04] wrote:
> > 2.) you should know some basic stuff about FreeBSD internels (i am planning
> > on getting The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System
>
> Well more than 'basic' hopefully. :)
>
> Good choice on a book, others to look at are:
> "UNIX Internals 'the new frontiers'" Vahalia
> "The Basic Kernel Source Secrets" Jolitz

I haven't read Vahalia, so I can't comment on that one, but both
McKusick et al. and Jolitz are seriously outdated - you can basically
forget anything they tell you about memory management (particularly
virtual memory), interrupt handling, spls, and probably scheduling as
well; and none of them tell you much about writing device drivers
(which is what kernel newbies most often want to do).

On the other hand, the Daemon book (McKusick et al.) still has some
fairly relevant sections (some of part 2, about half of part 3 and
most of part 4), and does a good job of demystifying the kernel on a
psychological level, i.e. teaching you that most of it really isn't
deep voodoo and you can understand it if you try. In my experience,
this psychological block is a much bigger obstacle to overcome than
actual technical complexity.

(hmm, I must remember to drop by Mustang Jack next time I'm in NYC)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org