Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:02:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Hwang Jung Ho <cbrown@daisy.kwangwoon.ac.kr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X configuration!

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Hwang Jung Ho wrote:

> These days..I'm so interesting to FreeBSD.
> So, I install the BSD 2.2.5 on my notebook  pc(166MMX).
> I have installed BSD on my PC.
> The same way... BSD is successfully install.
>
> But X window mode is so large... How can I do that?
> Video card is right... but monitor kinds is not fit to notebook
> How can I fit that monitor mode...help me!

Your question is not entirely clear to me. There may be a couple things
to look at.

Do you mean that the resolution is wrong? To change resolution you may
simply enter CtrlAlt(+ or -) to change resolution.

Do you mean that there is a portion of your display extends beyond the
edge of your screen which you cannot see?

If part of your screen is "hanging off the edge" you may have to do one
of two things.

First. You may have to change a setting in '/etc/XF86Config'. The
virtual setting may be causing you trouble.

	Section "Screen"
	    Driver      "vga2"
	    Device      "Generic VGA"
	    Monitor     "Supercom"
	    Subsection "Display"
	        Modes       "640x480"
	        ViewPort    0 0
	        Virtual     800 600   <=============== right here
	    EndSubsection
	EndSection

In the example I have shown the screen resolution will be 640x480. The
virtual setting (800 600) is larger that the screen. Part of the virtual
screen will "hang off the edge." This is not necessarily bad, Just
annoying. To get rid of this delete the line with the virtual setting or
change the "Virtual" setting to be the same as the "Modes" setting.

Second.

Use a window manager that allows you to use the extra part that is
hanging off the edge. This is called the "virtual desktop." Fvwm2 is one
such window manager. With a window manager like this you move your mouse
to the edge of your screen and the screen scrolls to the left/right or
up/down to allow you to see the part that was hanging off.

 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\  Have fun,
     )	   Jason Wells
)-------(  Wannabe Sysadmin