Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 1995 21:33:55 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        core@freefall.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: E-mail/phone support for FreeBSD

On Mon, 24 Apr 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> They would do for a start. I think you miscalculate the percentage of
> user base that actually calls for tech support.

   I probably am then.  My experience has been with administration and
technical support in an academic/research environment, and at a
6000-user ISP in Toronto.  The latter employs several support staff,
two or three of whom are on the phones all day.  This includes "sales"
as well as real, live tech support.  A comfortable ratio in that
situation would be 1000 users to 1 phone operator.  I figured FreeBSD
might generate a similar response.

> Linux is huge, and we
> only get between 30 and 40 calls a day..  One person full-time can
> easily handle that and we're nowhere near as big as Linux.  This goes
> double if they also put some time into implementing better mail
            ^^^^
> robots, an answers-by-FAX system, a more usable WWW based FAQ, etc.

    They?  You mean Walnut Creek or the Linux people?  One thing I
really like about Linux is the massive amount of documentation
available for it.  Matt Welsh is doing a magnificent job coordinating
that effort.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org