Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 01:13:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Greg Prosser <greg@straynet.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: -STABLE buildkernel broke! (linux module)

[comments inlinem lest my quoting style be un-annoying]

on Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Greg Prosser babbled ..

;; I'm doing the usual fun happy upgrade stuff for my home machine, and I'm
;; running into a few problems with the -STABLE sources I pulled down at
;; about 10pm EST (2001/11/10).  It appears there's something up when the
;; 'buildkernel' target is being built.
;;
;; I get as far as compiling the kernel, and all is fine until it starts to
;; build my modules for me (linux.ko, in fact).  Attached you'll find the
;; output of what is spit at me.
;;
;; Oddly enough, going into /usr/src/sys/modules/linux, and executing a
;; 'make' works, so I'm a little stumped.  The -I@ in the cc lines above
;; kinda makes me wonder, too, since I have no idea what that @ represents.
;;
;; I fetched my sources from cvsup.above.net, and have tried both my kernel
;; config and GENERIC, and have tried without my usual -j option to make.
;;
;; I'm about to head off to bed, so I'm going to try the non-/usr/src method
;; (oldschool?) of compiling a kernel, and if that fails, just not make any
;; modules.

My compile did _not_ fail when doing the following:
cd /sys/i386/conf
config -r HADES		# my kernel config
cd /sys/compile/HADES
make depend
make

Yet it _did_ fail when doing:
cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=HADES

Please advise!

;; If you reply, please CC replies to me so I don't have to wade through my
;; huge list mailbox, thanks.  :)
;;
;; Attached:  Output from the broken make (yay!)
;;
;; Thanks in advance,