Date:      Mon, 15 May 1995 00:09:02 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hsu@clinet.fi
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/407: Odd tset -I behaviour, termcap says xterm kb=^H

>>Number:         407
>>Category:       bin
>>Synopsis:       tset -I breaks erase character, termcap says xterm kb=^H

>The termcap entry for xterm is false, it says that erase key sends ^H,
>while most systems send ^?.

It has to be right for the configuration actually being used.  This
probably requires putting the full termcap entry in the environment.
I don't know what X does.

>If kb definition is removed, tset -I seems to default to ^H, not
>CERASE.  The behaviour seems weird:

Removing kb alone won't work.  You would also have to remove bs and
maybe bc and os.  It's easier to fix kb.

I tried setting it to ^? and moving termcap.db out of the way, but
cgetstr() doesn't parse ^? right - it gives ('? & 0x1f) = 0x1f.
Apparently you are supposed to use \177.  \177 is used in dozens of
places in termcap.src while ^? is only used in a couple of places.
(BTW, the default syscons keymap still doesn't generate anything
for ^?.)

tset -I prints "backspace" if kb matches the erase character even if
the erase character is ^?.

Bruce