Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 23:00:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Yves Lepage <yves@CC.McGill.CA>
Cc:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@masternet.it>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM 6x86 166+

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Yves Lepage wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was browsing the Cyrix web page recently for my own needs and
> it would seem the same problem exists with Windoze 95. Cyrix says
> that the algorythm that determines the type of cpu was completed
> before the Cyrix 6x86 processors were ready.
>
> They recommend using the BIOS to make sure of the cpu type you have
> or to get one of these programs that correctly determines the cpu type. I
> forget what the programs were but you can check http://www.cyrix.com/

Yes, the programs are there as well as the source.  I believe the same is
true for AMD's K5 and NexGen's Nx586...  Will take some time to figure
this out how to get assembly code interfaced with FreeBSD because most (if
not all) of the cpu detection routines utilize assembly code to do the
trick.

----

 -------------------------------> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com/shopping