Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 18:17:45 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE>
Cc:        conta@alpo.casc.com (Alex Conta), freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 PCI-SCSI on Compaq ProLinea 5100

Stefan Esser wrote in message ID
<199607161920.VAA00899@x14.mi.uni-koeln.de>:
> Compaq caused lots of problems because of
> their knowingly ignoring the PCI specs.
> I once got a reply that it wouldn't matter,
> since the BIOS and their drivers worked
> around the problems introduced this way.

> But what they didn't care about was, that
> the required workaround might break support
> for other systems. They don't bother, since
> they know their drivers are only used with
> their machines. But we hardly want to have
> a special FreeBSD version just for Compaq
> machines ... :)

Which is (IMNSHO) is *EXTREMELY* shortshighted of ANY company ... how
many ``high end'' OS's rely on the crappy PC bios for I/O? I'm not
meaning the M$ stuff, I'm meaning the true UN*X stuff (e.g. Solaris,
SCO, FreeBSD. Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have said UN*X :-) ). It
basically means that Compaq hardware is limited to running M$ stuff,
which is cutting out other people from the game ... has Compaq been
bought out by M$, perhaps? :)

Gary