Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2006 07:06:09 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Robert <robert@mhi-tx.com>
Subject:   Re: suspend writes for external snapshot

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 04:07:32PM -0500, Robert wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> I am trying to determine if there is a way to suspend write activity on
>> a FreeBSD filesystem (currently 6.0R) in order to take a snapshot with
>> external SAN software (Falconstor IPStor)?
>
> Use a FreeBSD snapshot and then image that?

He can't do it that way because the Falconstor is a raw block device and
has no idea the difference between a snapshot and other filesystem bits.

Robert - we have some very alpha patches in house that allow suspension
of UFS filesystems for things like this (also working on online UFS
growing).  I'm not sure how close we really are to letting it loose in
the wild, but we will definitely be making all the patches available to
whomever wants it.

Eric