Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:22:23 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Josh Osborne <stripes@mac.com>
Cc:        Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question: aio / nbio / kqueue

Josh Osborne wrote:
> BSD/OS had select working for FFS files (returns ready to read
> if the block the file pointer is at is in the buffer cache, and
> sends a read ahead request).  Or at least they (Paul?) calmed
> they did, I never tested it.

This would be good to see in FreeBSD.

> I try to avoid anything that makes me write signal handlers (AIO
> is done with signals, right?),

Not traditionally.  aiowait/aiocancel act on previously
instituted aioread/aiowrite.  I don't know what damage
POSIC has done to them.  I personally never enabled
SIGPOLL, even when using SystemV, since signals are
persistant conditions, not events, so you can not trust
that you will get the signals you need to get when an
event happens that would trigger the signal.  This is
just like SIGCHLD, which will deliver two signals for
40 processes dying (the one you first get, the one that
gets set while the first handler is blocking, and then
the other 38 that set the same flag which is already 1
back to 1... don't get an event at all).

-- Terry