Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:17:38 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@ve7tcp.ampr.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SASL References

    The> 	Has anyone actually *done* anything other then talk
    The> about it?  (talk includes creating the RFC)

Well, here are a few IMAP servers that implement SASL:

Cyrus	       KERBEROS_V4
Simeon	       KERBEROS_V4, CRAM-MD5, ANONYMOUS, PLAIN
PMDF	       CRAM-MD5 *
U-Wash	       ANONYMOUS, GSSAPI, KERBEROS_V4 *
Netscape       LOGIN (non-standard mechanism)
Eudora	       CRAM-MD5 *

* indicates the list is from memory and might be wrong/incomplete.

In the Simeon Message Service product line we also support SASL in our
IMSP server, and are adding support for it to our SMTP server. In release
2.1 of the server set (shipping Q4) we will have support for the GSSAPI
mechanism. In ACAP, SASL is used exclusively for authentication.

On the client side, Simeon, Mulberry, Netscape, and Pine (4) all
support at least one SASL mechanism. I'm fairly certain newer versions
of Eudora use it as well.

--lyndon