Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:50:56 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc:        will andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@california.sandia.gov>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating a port: Manpage question

--==_Exmh_100765584P

If memory serves me right, Ade Lovett wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 03:55:35PM -0500, will andrews wrote:
> > On 10-Dec-99 Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > > Quick question, whose answer I couldn't find in the handbook:
> > >
> > > When creating a port, what's the right procedure for installing a
> > > *formatted* manpage?
> > >
> > > (The problem I have is that the original distfile doesn't supply troff
> > > source for the manpage, just the nroff output.)
> >
> > Sounds like you just need a nroff->troff converter then INSTALL_MAN
> > manpage and use MANX where X = section of manpage.

I suppose this is a possibility, using something like Tom Phelps'
RosettaMan.  This seems kind of cumbersome.

> Hmm.  I read the question as though the port has something that we'd
>
> In which case, to really DTRT, bsd.port.mk would have to be patched
> to add CATx functionality alongside the existing MANx stuff, and the
> port Makefile would then simply become, eg:
>
> 	CAT1= foo.1

I guess this is what I had in mind, but I'm not sure.

> In the meantime, I'd just treat the formatted manpage as just another
> file (ie: not special like source manpages), and add them in to pkg/PLIST.

So...drop it in as ${PREFIX}/man/cat1/foo.1.gz then?

Of course it'd be much better if I had the original troff source for
this thing.

In case anyone's curious, this is for XBarcode, a barcode printer that
needs xview to support its GUI.  I'm not sure whether turning this into
a real, submitted port is a good idea or not.  :-)

Thanks,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_100765584P

--==_Exmh_100765584P--