Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:58:24 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jeff <jeff@simplenet.com>
Subject:   Re: ATI Mobility

Darryl Okahata wrote:

> "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es> wrote:
>
> > However, the Linux kernel *can* set that VESA video mode. How?
> > Obviously, what I am trying to do is the same trick that the Linux
> > people uses, but as a small wrapper for the XF86_Mach64 server that
> > could set the 0x117 VESA mode, start the X server, and restore the old
> > video mode on exit.
>
>      There's more to the problem than this.  I just got a 7500, and
> I think that we may just have to wait for XFree86 to support the
> Mobility-P (or buy the commercial server, which I may do).
>
> [...]

OK, this is a very interesting information. Thanks, Darryl and Mike!

Just FYI, I contacted MetroLink about ATI Mobility support, and this
is the answer I received:

Metro Link Tech Support wrote:
> Metro-X does not officially have support for the Mobility-P chipset at
> this time.  However, a driver is under development.  It is functional
> except that APM (automatic power management) is not working, which means
> the X server must be exited instead of simply closing the notebook cover.
>
> If you wish to purchase Metro-X, we can give you a copy of this driver
> for use until the completed driver becomes available.  Please let us know
> if you are interested in this.

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071