Date:      Mon, 22 May 2006 20:01:32 -0400
From:      tfotoglidis@netscape.net
To:        fbsd@sefao.com, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security Survey

>   As an administrator, time is always an issue.  FreeBSD has proven
>   itself time and again.  Having said that, one "wish" would be to
have
>   a default/built-in security update mechanism.
>   Since time is always and issue, if the system could by default
>   (without an admin having to write scripts and/or apps, or manually
>   update) update itself for both system and installed ports/packages,
it
>   likely would reduce security issues exponentially.
>   This of course would be a massive project/challenge. Varying system
>   and kernel configurations alone would make this a huge challenge,
not
>   to mention the potential security implications.

Time is an issue indeed, but I reckon you would have to spend time even
if a "default/built-in" mechanism for updates was in place. You would
still have to consider new features and do further tweaking of .conf
files and yet even write your own apps again to facilitate new needs
with the new features.
Might be wrong, but anything "auto-magic" sounds like not a very good
idea, saves time probably in the short term, but I''m not sure that's
what you want...

thanos

Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com