Date:      25 Jan 00 15:34:50 EST
From:      Tom Parquette <tparquet@netscape.net>
To:        evo01@sears.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [ISA ethernet cards]

evo01@sears.com wrote:
> =

> I currently have my freebsd 3.1 with 3 ethernet cards.   One is Realtek=
 PCI
> card.  Device name is rl0.   The 2nd card is ISA 3COM 3C309B at 0x300 I=
RQ
10.
> Device name is ep0.   The 3rd card is also an ISA 3COM 3C309B which ker=
nel
found
> it at 0x300.   I reconfigured my kernel to add ep1 at 0x300 with IRQ =3D=
 11.
> However, system complained that the 3rd ethernet card is not probed bec=
ause
it
> occupies the same memory segment (0x300).    How can I force kernel to =
probe
the
> 3rd card or is there a way I can assign the 3rd card to occupy at a
different
> memory segment? (like 0x250?)
> =

> Your help is appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Eric
> =

> =

> PS....This is strictly used for my home PC and it is being built to act=
 as
> router.
> =

> =

> =

> =

Eric,
I don't know how much help I can be but you seem to be setting up somethi=
ng
similar to what I'm prototyping...

I took a quick look at 3COM's web site and I did not see a 3C309B listed.=
  I'm
assuming it is an old card...

What I did with my machine is let FreeBSD's install floppies figure out t=
he
on-board Realtek ethernet interface (since I could not figure out how to =
get
this information any other way!) =

I then ran the 3COM Etherdisk configuration utilities against the 3Com ca=
rds I
was installing.  I started with the 'automatic configuration' option to s=
ee
what it would do.  Then I went back at the card with manual configuration=
select IRQ and memory segments that did not conflict with anything else. =
then saved the configuration to the card and exited the Etherdisk utiliti=
es. =

(On an older prototype I had 3 3C509 cards which I had to install and
configure one at a time.)

Anyway, Once I got the hardware configured the way I wanted it, using DOS=
, the
Etherdisk utilities and some other tools, I created a custom kernal plugg=
ing
in each of the IRQ and memory segments.  =

e.g.: (from the GENERIC kernal): device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10=

The 'trick' is, each ethernet adapter needs its own unique IRQ and unique=

memory segment.  Once you set the IRQ and memory segment in the card, you=
 have
to build a custom kernal that agrees with the hardware.

I hope this information is of some use to you.
Cheers...

"Do or do not.  Is no Try"--Yoda.  =

"Friends come and go but enemies accumulate."--me.