Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2015 01:42:53 -0400
From:      "Bill (EtherneXt)" <ethernext@gmail.com>
To:        John De Boskey <jwd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-SCSI <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ses/pass devices (enclosure/processor devices) not all showing up?

Hi John,

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:35 PM, John De Boskey <jwd@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi Folks -
>
>    I have a shelf with 84 sata drives. All drives show up
> correctly and are accessible. The shelf appears to have
> multiple processor devices and one enclosure device internally.
> For instance:
>
> # camcontrol devlist | grep XYRATEX
> <XYRATEX DEFAULT-SD-R24 3034>      at scbus7 target 159 lun 0 (pass18)
> <XYRATEX DEFAULT-SD-R36 3034>      at scbus7 target 188 lun 0 (pass47)
> <XYRATEX DEFAULT-SD-R36 3034>      at scbus7 target 217 lun 0 (pass76)
> <XYRATEX DEFAULT-SD-R24 3034>      at scbus7 target 232 lun 0 (pass91)
>
> # camcontrol devlist | grep ses
> <DELL SC280-01-E6EBD 3034>         at scbus7 target 144 lun 0 (ses0,pass3)
>
> # camcontrol smprg pass18 | grep 'Number of Phys:'
> Number of Phys: 25
> # camcontrol smprg pass47 | grep 'Number of Phys:'
> Number of Phys: 37
> # camcontrol smprg pass76 | grep 'Number of Phys:'
> Number of Phys: 37
> # camcontrol smprg pass91 | grep 'Number of Phys:'
> Number of Phys: 25
> # camcontrol smprg ses0 | grep 'Number of Phys:'
> Number of Phys: 37

you definitely want to install and use the sg3_utils package to manage
the enclosure. the sg_ses utility in sg3_utils will provide most all
the info you will ever need. you can use sg_ses to manage drive/slot
LED's, fans, power supplies and more. sg3_utils installs a lot of
useful tools so take a look at them all. there are also some basic ses
tools in /usr/share/examples/ses. sdparm is also a handy tool for
managing drives.

for the 4 pass devices, I am not sure. there is a scsi processor
device driver named pt but I have no idea if it is related. do a man
pt for more info. you may also want to build the kernel with the sg
device which is another pass-thru device for compatibility with the
scsi generic linux driver. with sg_ses, take a look at the line for
subenclosures:

#>sg_ses ses1 -p 1
SUN  CSM200_E  98C4
Configuration diagnostic page:
  number of secondary subenclosures: 0

if you see 4 subenclosures, those scsi processor devices may be used
for internal enclosure management and communication with the ses0
device, but thats only a guess on my part. you can also try using
sg_ses on the pass devices to see if they report enclosure services.

also see the sg3_utils website, lots of detail on using the utilities.

Best,
--
Bill