Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:57:38 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Subject:   Re: MFC 7840W under CUPS

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:33:33 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> PDF is not exactly PS, but it does use a subset of the instructions.

That's correct, but both formats share essential parts of
functionality. Conversion between them is relatively easy.

> The other thing you will notice is that its mostly on MFC's, so I
> believe they're using the PS chipset to encode a scanned doc to PDF; I'm
> not sure it works the other way around, and I may even be wrong about
> what they're doing but I think it is very suspect.

Yes, PDF output of scanned documents (even multi-page ones)
seems to be standard today (which is mostly a welcome solution
for storing and re-printing scanned documents).

> A PS chipset is only an interpreter - it cannot normally encode PS, only
> read a PS stream and rasterise it. But they may have extended it in only
> this case. As for printing PDF, maybe... time will only tell.

I held a short lecture about PS many years ago. If I remember
my own words correctly, the PS "circuit" in a printer is a
little processor complex that processes the PS "programming
language" to do rasterization (from vector data or embedded
pixel objects), it could do calculations, some transformations
(like rotation), some other functions (like repeating the
output n times, use or not use the duplexer etc. depending
on the printer's hardware). If this facility could be used
to generate data and send it back through the network interface,
or keep it in local storage so network access can "pick it
up" (e. g. by FTP, NFS, CIFS/SMB), things would be easy as
those mechanisms can be kept internally in the printer without
requiring arbitrary "drivers" to make things work.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany