Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:24:05 +0400
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Astrodog <astrodog@gmail.com>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lockf in installworld -- not a good idea

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 09:07:19AM -0500, Astrodog wrote:
> Personally, I find it much, much more important to be able to do an
> installworld from a "real" single user mode via NFS, than it is to support
> -j. I don't think I've ever had a circumstance where I really needed make
> installworld to finish quickly.
>=20
This doesn't mean it's unused.  For example, our release engineers
build releases on fast SMP machines, and "make release" can complete
faster with -j on real SMP hardware.  This is btw how this bug was
found in the first place.

> Besides, if there's significant use of
> locks in installworld, -j doesn't get a whole lot of performance gain
> anyway.
>=20
No, it's insignificant.

> Another thought here, is that in my experience, installworld is disk, or
> network I/O bound, not CPU... Under those circumstances, we may find that
> there's reduced performance with -j anyway, in which case there's no
> reason to support it that I can see.
>=20
Do you have numbers on real SMP hardware to share?

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov
ru@FreeBSD.org