Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 10:33:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Du Gaue <rdugaue@calweb.com>
To:        Jim Van Baalen <vansax@mail.websidestory.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: P2 400Mhz

> I am not a PC hardware guy and thus am not even sure how to ask this
> question. We just got a P2 400Mhz (BX chip set) machine in. I tried to
> install FreeBSD, but the install failed to find the SCSI disk. Will FreeBSD
> run on a 400 (the BX chip set)?

We've got this exact same configuration running just fine. We installed
the 2.x stable branch for it. First impression is this is a very fast
machine. Make World takes about 55 minutes to complete, which is faster
then the Dual-PII 300 (66MHZ motherboard) we tested which took about 75
minutes. I just saw the Dual 100MHZ motherboards the other day and will
probably give that a spin sometime next month. I hear a 450 PII is due out
in July so expect the 400s to drop a hundred or so when that happens. It
does get expensive to be on the edge. The current 400s are running about
$850!