Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:52:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        John Clark <jc@netview.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup MX Numbers

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, John Clark wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running as a backup MX for a domain.  I have the primary domain at 10
> with the backup at 100.  Every time that I dispatch a letter from the 100
> machine, it never gets to the 10.  Should I be using a backup MS number
> like 5000?  What gives here as to preference?  All outside domains
> correctly choose the 10 machine.

If you are on the machine that is the lower of the two - and it is able to
locally deliver it (or thinks it can) it will.  So you must have something
else up and not MX record problems.  For instance, do you have a Cw for
the domain you are seconding?  You shouldnt unless you intend to deliver
locally for that domain.