Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 2020 18:03:17 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Subject:   Re: How to get mouse configured in X(org)?

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 21:36:33 +0000 Mark Linimon linimon@lonesome=2Ecom said

> What is the output of the script mentioned in:
>=20
>  https://lists=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2020-February/025004=2Ehtm=
>=20
Thanks for the prompt, and thoughtful reply, Mark! :-)

OK I've been following CURRENT, and was aware of that=2E As I
needed it the first time around with the new Xorg=2E But I
hadn't imagined I would require any outside helpers on STABLE=2E :(
Anyway=2E I managed to get a working xorg=2Econf=2Enew running against
Xorg -config=2E So I added only what I thought I absolutely needed
to /usr/local/X11/xorg=2Econf=2Ed/ and fired up startx with my chosen
DE in =2Exinitrc=2E Only to find I _still_ had no mouse, nor control
of the WM=2E My only recourse was to bounce the box=2E :-(
I had to scrub the pool, and blow away all the X related things
in ~/ && try again=2E I was finally successful after creating the
following 4 files:
server-layout=2Econf
Section "ServerLayout"
=09Identifier  "X=2Eorg Configured"
=09Option      "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
=09Option      "Log"  "sync"
EndSection
driver-nvidia=2Econf
Section "Device"
=09Identifier  "Card0"
=09Driver      "nvidia"
=09BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection
screen-layout=2Econf
Section "Monitor"
=09Identifier   "Monitor0"
=09VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
=09ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection
keyboard-zap=2Econf
Section=09"InputClass"
=09Identifier=09"KeyboardDefaults"
=09Driver=09=09"keyboard"
=09MatchIsKeyboard=09"on"
=09Option=09=09"XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

Altho the keyboard-zap=2Econf is probably unnecessary=2E I added
it in hopes of being able to bail out as opposed to bouncing
the box=2E

I can't believe what a disappointment X has become=2E It's almost
a different incantation for every install=2E I'd understand on
CURRENT/release=2E But not on STABLE=2E

I'm very grateful for your lending a hand, Mark=2E I don't
mean to point any of my frustration at/towards you=2E :-)

Thanks, again! :-)

--Chris