Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 20:24:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        scott@statsci.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, andreas@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/xv Makefile

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * This seems like one of those religious issues, that is bound to completely
>  * irritate everyone, no matter how you do it.  Why can't we have clean, and
>  * squeeky-clean?  (No, I can't make up a better name, I'm lousy at that).  I
>
> That's a good idea.  I was also thinking about making the
> chain-cleaning depend on an environment variable
> NO_CHAIN_CLEAN_DEPENDS (or some such), so people who does ports
> development and has gobs of disk space can do the cleaning themselves,
> while ordinary users can "make install clean" and forget about the
> rest.

Yeah, ok.  clean would do just what it does now, surprising no one.
Squeeky-clean would read the depends targets, and issue make cleans to
whatever ports target was available.  I would make a new
ADDL_CLEAN_TARGETS variable to add any extra clean targets one might wish
to add to.  Would you make the environmental var NO_CHAIN_CLEAN_DEPENDS
override SQUEEKY_CLEAN?  Or how were you thinking of doing it?

If you could wait til the weekend, I'll give you diffs to bsd.port.mk for
it, if you wanted.

> Satoshi

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |