Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:25:05 +0100
From:      smithg@mail.nwc.whecn.edu (Gerald Smith)
To:        Freebsd-questions@FreeBsd.org
Subject:   Locked in X-login on boot

I have been using 2.2 for a couple of years off and on.  The last few months
I have been using it regularly for typesetting with tex and emacs under
X-windows.

I have had no problems at all and have been very pleased with the way the
system works.

During this time I have just logged in and then started X by using startx.
Yesterday I was reading in "The Complete FreeBsd" first ed. by Greg Lehey
that I could get xdm runing with the login message at boot by changing
/etc/ttys and setting
        ttyv4 "usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure (page 99)

and then rebooting or # kill -1 1.

Well, like a fool, I did this without checking it out complelely first!!

The problem is that it goes through all the boot messages, starts the
regular login: message then goes to the X-login window:

                        myname.my.domain

        Login:
        Password:

and also presents a console log for myname.my.domain window.

If I login with a wrong name or password I get the login incorrect message
in red.  When I give the correct login name and password, the window
disappears and it seems that something is happening, but it just comes back
with the same login window again and I can't get out of this mode.  Either
this is the way it should work and I am just to ignorant to see what I need
to do, or it is not working correctly.

If someone out there would give me a hand with this without having to go and
reinstall completely I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Gerald Smith