Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 11:19:03 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        lix@cs.pdx.edu (xiaoyin li)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

xiaoyin li stands accused of saying:

> I have installed netscape from ftp.netscape.com site on my FreeBSD
> with 04/95 SNAPSHOT and X11R6.  However, I got the following error
> messages at my first try.  I would apprecite very much if someone
> could give me a direction how to fix this probelm.

> books:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11 307 # netscape

You're running as root.  Bad idea.

> books:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11 308 #
> netscape: uname() failed; can't tell what system we're running on

This is arguably a netscape bug.

> netscape: locale `C' not supported.

You haven't read the netscape documentation about setting the XNLSPATH
environment variable.

> Xlib:  connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> Xlib:  Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Error: Can't open display: :0.0

You're root, but not logged in as root.  If you're using startx or xinit,
you'll have to ask someone else.  If you're using xdm, add to root's .cshrc
file :

	setenv XAUTHORITY ~$LOGNAME/.Xauthority

Don't listen to anyone who says that you should use xhost; it's out of
date and a security risk.

> Xiaoyin Li

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[