Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:11:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        yurtesen@ispro.net.tr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pwd.db?

>Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 07:56:20 +0300 (EEST)
>From: Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>

>ok then, but would not it be more secure if you have maden the
>password files be able to read only by wheel group?
>for example I would not want somebody to get my passwd file and
>put it to web to show all usernames on my system and the real names
>corresponding to those login names (also I guess nobody would like
>that idea) or somebody may send email to all my users from that passwd
>file, is not it? (I do not think that somebody would like this idea
>too!), but those files are readable by public which means that anyone
>who as account on my system can access to them, why is that ?

Because many programs, such as "ls" and "ps" make use of the
information; if you prevent non-root use of the information, those
programs fail (or have reduced functionality).

There comes a point where you need to decide who you can trust and with
what.  In its formative years, UNIX was largely in environments where
everyone who had (legitimate) access to a given system could reaasonably
be trusted with the information in question.  It may well be argued that
there are situations now where this is not the case.  If you need to
maintain such an environment, you have a non-trivial amount of work to
do to set it up, and if so, you might want to get in touch with others
who might also have such concerns, so you can share the workload &
experiences... assuming, of course, that you trust each other enough.

:-},
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621