Date:      Tue, 2 Aug 2022 19:07:22 -0400
From:      Dan Mahoney <freebsd@gushi.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        samflanker@gmail.com
Subject:   MegaCLI port is ports-only -- how would you deploy it?

Hey there all,

At the dayjob we have a fleet of Dell Poweredge servers that can use =
either mptsas or mrsas -- if you use mptsas, you use mptutil (in base) =
to check the state of the card.

If you use mrsas, you need megacli, which is only in ports, and the port =
hasn't translated to pkg probably because of license restrictions.  ( =
_LICENSE_RESTRICTED =3D delete-package delete-distfiles), but the =
license listed is just "megacli".

* We want to deploy a cron job to periodically check the raid status =
(we're writing a wrapper, also having it check mfiutil, zpool, etc).

* We do not want to install and manage a whole ports tree on every =
machine in our fleet, just to install a raid utlity.

Option A:=20

Make a local package somehow.

The port just downloads a static binary, there's nothing to build here, =
but we want to do this the "right" way.  Is there some way to have pkg =
deploy a single local package for this that will, for example, report =
the right package ownership, without moving every other package to our =
poudriere install (we're just using base packages, we keep poudriere =
around for testing in case we need to hot-patch something).

For what it's worth, we use puppet for config management, so pushing out =
the static binary is not the worst answer, but it also feels "dirty".

Option B:=20

Figure out how to fix the license.  I have no idea what this would =
involve.

Option C:=20

Also, apparently MegaCLI is no longer maintained (replaced by StorCLI), =
but there's no port for StorCLI, and...there are multiple raid-card =
specific versions?  Jeez.

Feels even more dirty.

=
https://support.siliconmechanics.com/portal/en/kb/articles/storcli-for-fre=