Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 20:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Daniel Sobral <Daniel_Sobral@voga.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting on secondary master

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Daniel Sobral wrote:

> I have just install a FreeBSD current (world from 15-16/09, original
> installation from may (22?) snap), but I'm facing a peculiar problem. If I
> let FreeBSD boot by itself, it will try 1:wd(1,a)/kernel, whereas it is
> installed on wd(2,a). I have tried changing this with nextboot, but it
> didn't work. So, I have to type the correct address every time I boot
> FreeBSD.

You might try creating /boot.config and put "1:wd(1,a)/kernel" in that
file.  Or try the following:

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).

> The configuration is a P75 with an hd on primary master, a cdrom on primary
> slave, and the FreeBSD hd on secondary master.
>
> On a side note, I'm having trouble with an 3c509 (way slow, won't answer to
> pings, will stop working after a time), but I haven't gone through all
> possible causes yet (still need to change IRQ and disable PNP). But... This
> card *does* work, right? It says so in the FAQ...

Yes, it is well supported.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo