Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:03:02 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: virtualbox with FreeBSD as host

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:44:54 -0500
Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> Mario Lobo wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 09:57:53 -0500
> > Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Section 23.3 of the handbook speaks about FreeBSD as a host.
> >> No where in that section does it say anything about virtualbox
> >> running from the FreeBSD host command line or from A Desktop.
> >>
> >> Do I need a Desktop for virtualbox to run under?
> >
> > NOPE !!
> >
> > VBoxHeadless -startvm  "vm name"
> >

> Issueing VirtualBox from host command line gets this msg.
> Failed to open the x11 display
>
> VBoxHeadless -startvm  "vm name" assumes that there a vb guest
> all ready configured which is not my case.

Right! I assumed you already had the VM ready. Sorry.

> There is no man page for VBoxHeadless command.

There are those:

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/UserManual.pdf

and

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/

VBoxHeadless is covered on both.

> How do a configure a vb guest from the host command line?

VBoxManage can do all that from command line. Check it out or follow my
previous e-mail.

Sorry for not being more thorough on my last post.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br