Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2002 13:23:27 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>, kientzle@acm.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libc size

Thus spake Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>:
> Why? I'd love to hear some real reasons for this. NetBSD-current has
> just gone fully dynamic, let's see how much space that needs...
>
> christine: {16} uname -srnm
> NetBSD christine.energyhq.tk 1.6J i386
> christine: {17} du -h /bin /sbin /lib
> 999K    /bin
> 1.7M    /sbin
> 2.0M    /lib
>
> /lib keeps the required shared libs for those programs residing in
> /[s]bin.
>
> IMHO it would be beneficial to, at least, have the option to build a
> fully dynamic system on FreeBSD.

Keep in mind that NetBSD's /bin and /sbin were significantly
smaller beforehand.  FreeBSD's equivalent is somewhat bloated, but
it's not so unreasonably large that people are having trouble
making it fit on hard drives purchased in the last four years.  If
you're installing FreeBSD on an embedded system, that's one thing,
but you have PicoBSD for that.  Otherwise, you're sacrificing
performance, reliability, and security for the sake of a few dozen
megs of disk space.  I don't think this is an acceptable tradeoff.

I'm not opposed to having a knob that allows people to dynamically
link their /bin and /sbin if they so desire, as long as it's done
right.  I worry a little bit that once the feature is available,
someone will decide that it's a bright idea to turn it on by
default, and support for the static linking case will decline.
(This is similar to what happened with GEOM, although I happen to
be all in favor of the latter.  C'est la vie.)