Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:09:59 +0100
From:      Cillian Sharkey <cillian@baker.ie>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Change to /sys/net/if.c & /sys/dev/syscons/syscons.c

Hi,

change to /sys/net/if.c which will print out
"xxN: promiscuous mode disabled" msg to match its
equiv. "xxN: promiscuous mode enabled" msg
works on all my interfaces even if tcpdump is run
multiple times etc. However it does not print out
the disabled msg for tun0 interface for some mysterious
reason..

(another interesting thing was if tun0 == kld and I
try a tcpdump, tpcdump doesn't recognise tun0 at all !)

patch against 3.2-STABLE (synced few minutes ago)

*** if.c        Fri Aug 20 14:42:44 1999
--- if.c.bak    Fri Aug 20 14:50:42 1999
***************
*** 790,797 ****
                if (--ifp->if_pcount > 0)
                        return (0);
                ifp->if_flags &= ~IFF_PROMISC;
+               log(LOG_INFO, "%s%d: promiscuous mode disabled\n",
+                   ifp->if_name, ifp->if_unit);
        }
        ifr.ifr_flags = ifp->if_flags;
        error = (*ifp->if_ioctl)(ifp, SIOCSIFFLAGS, (caddr_t)&ifr);
--- 790,795 ----

Beware, next suggestion is pure vapourware :P

I hacked the /sys/dev/syscons/syscons.c file to
display kernel messages in a different colour
(bright green if you want to know), I think
it would be cool if we could change this
either via OPTIONS KERNMSGCOLOR=FOO in kernel
conf file or via sysctl perhaps..

..as I warned you, ultimate in vapour ware :P

- Cillian

as a sidenote:
Anyone else out there wonder why Linux console
is so crap? ie: can only scroll up on *current*
console, boot messages from kernel are messy
and full of ad banners, kernel messages
are in boring plain-text colour..

Enough hot air from me for today.. :)