Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:24:18 GMT
From:      Fernando <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/165410: Documentation is not up to date

>Number:         165410
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Documentation is not up to date
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
In the handbook[1] the following paragraph can be read:

    Note: If the directory /usr/src/ does not exist on your system (or if it is empty), then the sources have not been installed. The easiest way to install the full source tree is to run sysinstall as root, and then choosing Configure, then Distributions, then src, and finally All. If it does not exist, you should also create a symlink to /usr/src/sys/:

    # ln -s /usr/src/sys /sys

However sysinstall can not be used for this task since 9.0. According to the ftp[2], the distributions sysinstall is trying to fetch don't exist anymore.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
[2] ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/9.0-RELEASE/
>How-To-Repeat:
Follow instructions to install kernel sources at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

sysinstall will show an error indicating it can not fetch any of the selected distributions
>Fix:
Update the handbook stating that for 9.0-RELEASE the source can be fetched either from the ftp[1] or using csup.

English is not my first language so a patch to the doc is not provided.

[1] ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/9.0-RELEASE/