Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:35:24 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fernando_Apestegu=EDa?= <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Subject:   Re: CLANG vs GCC tests of fortran/f2c program

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Wojciech Puchar
<wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
>>> still not stopped personal attacks (last part of last sentence) but let=
>>> forget.
>>

>> Fact; that was NOT a personal attack. =A0Your entire line of reasoning s=
>> far
>> has been about -your- preferences, and things as you see them, for _your=
_

> What is specifically my preference?
>

>> =A01) Your opinion about the choice of the standard compiler "doesn't
>> matter".
>

> Once more - messing with my words and you know this. I am saying that it
> doesn't matter others than performance.
>
> Clang performance is just bad.
>

>> =A02) The decision _has_ been made. The only question at this point is
>> "when".
>

> And can be reversed because it is faulty.
>
> I successfully predicted the fall of linux (in quality point of view) yea=
rs
> ago, then netbsd - after this and my prediction were good.
>
> Now i predict FreeBSD will fall within 2015 time frame.

I don't want to be picky, but predictions (of the future performance
of clang) were not a valid point as you previously said ;)

Performance is not the only thing that matters. As a developer (not a
FreeBSD one), sometimes I would give everything to change a tool with
good performance for another one with less performance but with a
better design and documentation so I do not spend  two days trying to
figure out what the hell the previous thousands of programmers before
me tried to do :)

It could be risky to switch to clang, but if the decision proves
wrong, we can always go back to GPL2 gcc, evaluate the possibility of
GPL3 gcc or even use another compiler. Besides, it seems to me very
objective that the pace of development of clang big and it can only be
bigger if FreeBSD uses it as its base compiler.