Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:41:21 -0400
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scot Elliott <scot@london.sparza.com>
Cc:        CrazZzy Slash <slash@krsu.edu.kg>, Ali Alaoui El Hassani <961BE653994@stud.alakhawayn.ma>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Subject:   Re: Encryption over IP

> As a friend pointed out to me recently, long term SSH connections that
> move a lot of data are probably not very secure, as the SSH protocol does
> not re-generate it's encryption keys unlike something like IPSec...

So, weigh that into your decision of whether SSH is appropriate or not; are
people on the inside going to be actively attempting a chosen-plaintext or
known-plaintext attack?  A long term SSH connection which only you have
control over should really not have any need for rekeying; the stream should
not be able to be known by anyone else in its unencrypted form nor should it
be able to be modified at will before transport.

For using SSH as an anonymous tunnel in hostile environments, I'd definitely
want to know it was rekeying at a decent interval.