Date:      Wed, 3 Aug 2022 01:11:54 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>
To:        Dan Mahoney <freebsd@gushi.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, samflanker@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: MegaCLI port is ports-only -- how would you deploy it?

> On 3. Aug 2022, at 01:07, Dan Mahoney <freebsd@gushi.org> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFHey there all,
>=20
> At the dayjob we have a fleet of Dell Poweredge servers that can use eithe=
r mptsas or mrsas -- if you use mptsas, you use mptutil (in base) to check t=
he state of the card.
>=20
> If you use mrsas, you need megacli, which is only in ports, and the port h=
asn't translated to pkg probably because of license restrictions.  ( _LICENS=
E_RESTRICTED =3D delete-package delete-distfiles), but the license listed is=
 just "megacli".
>=20
> * We want to deploy a cron job to periodically check the raid status (we'r=
e writing a wrapper, also having it check mfiutil, zpool, etc).
>=20
> * We do not want to install and manage a whole ports tree on every machine=
 in our fleet, just to install a raid utlity.
>=20
> Option A:=20
>=20
> Make a local package somehow.
>=20
> The port just downloads a static binary, there's nothing to build here, bu=
t we want to do this the "right" way.  Is there some way to have pkg deploy a=
 single local package for this that will, for example, report the right pack=
age ownership, without moving every other package to our poudriere install (=
we're just using base packages, we keep poudriere around for testing in case=
 we need to hot-patch something).
>=20
> For what it's worth, we use puppet for config management, so pushing out t=
he static binary is not the worst answer, but it also feels "dirty".
>=20
> Option B:=20
>=20
> Figure out how to fix the license.  I have no idea what this would involve=
.
>=20
> Option C:=20
>=20
> Also, apparently MegaCLI is no longer maintained (replaced by StorCLI), bu=
t there's no port for StorCLI, and...there are multiple raid-card specific v=
ersions?  Jeez.
>=20
> Feels even more dirty.
>=20
> https://support.siliconmechanics.com/portal/en/kb/articles/storcli-for-fre=
ebsd-and-other-operating-systems
>=20
> Ideas welcome?

Option D: Configure pkg to be multi-repo. Usually I wouldn=E2=80=99t recomme=
nd this, but if all the second repo provides is just this package, it might b=
e viable.

-m