Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:42:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole@cairodurham.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Random (?) kernel panics

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Jaime Kikpole wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > This is better, but if you can compile a debug kernel as described in
> > the handbook, it will show more information from those crashdumps and
> > allow pinpointing of exactly which line of code is causing it to fail.
>
> 	Very cool.  I'll do that a.s.a.p.  Thanks.

	Very odd.... If I understand the web site correctly
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/faq/kernelconfig.html)
then my kernel is already compiled with debugging options.  Here's the
relivant line in my config file:

makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		#Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

	This is compiled into the current kernel.  This kernel was the one
involved with the kernel.3 and vmcore.3 dump files.  Did I miss something?

							Jaime

--
Network Administrator
Cairo-Durham Central School District