Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 06:02:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        conrads@neosoft.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE 64 MIDI config -- I'm lost

> Luigi Rizzo:
>  |> awe0 at 0x620 on isa
>  |> AWE32 not found
>  |> AWE32: not detected
>  |maybe you can make the probe a little more verbose so as to understand
>  |what is going wrong. Or, ask Randall (i think) who originally imported
>  |the AWE sources and certainly knows how to configure it.
>
> Well, I've carefully steared all my ISA board purchases away from PnP, so I
> haven't had to deal with it.  My knowledge of PnP is limited to the fact
> that it exists.

you have been invoked to consult on the AWE configuration, e.g. which
io ports it requires etc.

There is pnp support in -current and it also is usable on 2.2.x as an
add-on package (on the 2.2.5 CD in xperimnt/ or on my web site).
It can be used to pass pnp info to a driver, or manually (in
userconfig) to set resources for a card similarly to what is done for
linux.

> in particular the FAQ entry on AWE PnP detection looks interesting:
>
>      http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv/awedrv-faq.html#Q2.3
>
> I don't know if this could be easily incorporated into Luigi's PnP code or
> not.

how about
    pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x320 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20

The relevant piece of information is

   "AWE32 uses three I/O ports, normally 0x620, 0xa20, and 0xe20, ... "

	Cheers
	Luigi