Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:28:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        jim@siteplus.net, hm@hcs.de, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange 3Com 3C509 probe behaviour

As I recall, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Chad R. Larson wrote:
>> Might this be an example of why disabling hints doesn't always make
>> things better for the user community?
>
> No, because the user doesn't know about the card's config better than the
> card does.  Hints are only useful for devices that can't enumerate
> themselves.

Unless the card is non-conforming or broken.

Not all hardware implements the standards correctly.  Sometimes the
standards are vague, or don't address certain areas so the
microcoder improvises.  Or, the standard is being read by someone
for whom English is not their native tongue and they just get it
wrong.

In those cases, being able to frob the knob myself is not only a
useful thing, it's the only way to make the hardware work.

> Clearly this is a bug in the identification of cards in PnP mode.

Or the card lies.  Like I said...

> I'd love to be able to duplicate this so I can fix it but all my PnP
> cards work just fine

I'm happy for you.

> --
> | Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
> | winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |
> | http://www.jurai.net/~winter |  For Great Justice!  | ISO8802.5 4ever |

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com