Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:09:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mathison@sara.cpb.org (Neil T. Mathison)
To:        "Pariy, Semion" <Pariy@ibs.msk.su>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD -> NT40 -> printer

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Pariy, Semion wrote:

>      Hi!
>
>      how can I install printer on FreeBSD 2.2 , if printer connected to
>      computer with Windows NT40. FreeBSD and NT40 connected to local
>      network?
>
>      Semion Pariy

I am struggling with this also. We are using NT 3.51 with it's TCP/IP
printing services (LPD daemon). The target printer is a HP Laserjet 4M.
printcap is set up for remote printing as per the handbook. However,
right now it only prints plain ASCII correctly. Even though the HP 4M
is suppose to switch to it's postscript personality automatically upon
seeing a postscript file, its is printed as text. Moreover, special
characters like backspace are not interpreted as such, but are displayed
as a 'garbage' character.

The print spooler on the NT box is set up to treat the data as RAW,
which I assumed to mean to pass it through without screwing with it.
The lack of handling of the backspace character confirms that much.
However, why is a postscript file not recognized as such by the HP.

Some NT guru mentioned that the NT LPD service required a control
character of (lower case l). I'm not certain what he meant by that,
and neither was he. He pulled it out of some book.

Anyway, I will need to experiment with filters to see if I can print
files other than as just plain text. I would be interested in finding
out what you discover.

Regards,

Neil Mathison