Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:58:16 +0800
From:      Ganbold <ganbold@micom.mng.net>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building jdk1.4 natively on FreeBSD 5.3

At 08:49 PM 11/21/2004, you wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 07:47:00PM +0800, Ganbold wrote:
>
> > I would like to install jdk1.4 natively on FreeBSD 5.3.
> > I know there is a way to install jdk1.4 on FreeBSD using linux emulation
> > and linux procfs and I installed jdk1.4 before in such way.
> > Right now I would like to install jdk1.4 natively on FreeBSD 5.3 without
> > any linux emulation.
> > How can I build jdk1.4 natively? Is it possible?
> > If it is not possible, is there any plan to make native port of jdk1.4 or
> > jdk1.5 soon?
>
>In order to build JDK 1.4.2 you need a working JDK 1.4.x to compile
>everything.  As things stand, that means at some point you have to use
>a Linux JDK to do an initial compilation.  Once you've compiled the
>JDK one time using the Linux emulation, you can discard the linux bits
>and use your native JDK to compile any updates -- in fact, the
>java/jdk14 port will automatically use a preexisting native JDK 1.4.x
>in preference to a linux one.

I see. So it means that after jdk1.4 installation I can discard linux
emulation and linux procfs.
Am I understanding right?

>You can also take an installed native JDK 1.4.2 and create a package
>out of it -- read about the '-b' option in pkg_create(1), which you
>can then copy onto another system and install there.  Note that you
>can only do this to install a native JDK *on your own systems*.  Be
>careful however, as the terms of the Sun Community Source License are
>very strict about not permitting redistribution.

OK, I see. I will try to make package some time later on.

>Making a native port requires negotiating a license with Sun before it
>would be legal to distribute the port.  That means getting the port to
>a state where it can formally pass Sun's compliance tests (which I
>think the java/jdk14 port can do at the moment), and then getting the
>lawyers to argue over the details.  All that costs money -- penny-ante
>stuff for most corporations, but a significant burden for a volunteer
>project like FreeBSD.  ie. Needs a donor with deep pockets.

Yes, I understand there is licensing issue around Java.

>A java/jdk15 port couldn't be created until JDK 5.0[1] was released
>under the SCSL (or another more userfriendly license as is
>consistently rumoured to be about to happen).  JDK 5.0 is now
>available (as of this month) under the SCSL or the JRL (Java Research
>License) -- so I guess there are a few FreeBSD developers busily
>working on making it compile and run under FreeBSD.  That's not a
>trivial task, and you'll just have to wait until they have something
>in good enough shape to release.  From just a cursory reading, the JRL
>seems to me to be slightly more friendly than the SCSL for individual
>or academic use, and can permit redistribution in binary format given
>that all users agree to abide by the terms of the JRL.

Anyway it would be nice if FreeBSD will support native versions of jdk1.4
or jdk1.5 in future.
I'm a big fan of FreeBSD and I don't want to use linux with java.
The only reason I want to use java on FreeBSD is tomcat and develop some
jsp/servlets.
I could use jdk1.3 on FreeBSD 4.x, but jdk1.3 lacks some methods and class.

>         Cheers,
>
>         Matthew

Thanks for answering my email.

regards,