Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:19:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@yahoogroups.com
Subject:   RE: [FreeBSD-rc] Re: RFC: Removal of the old rc system from -curr ent

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Long, Scott wrote:

> Ok, let me modify and clarify my statement:
>
> I no longer feel that keeping rcOG around in a deprecated state
> for 5.1 is a requirement.

Fabulous! :)

>  However:
>
> 1.  Doug should work out appropriate release documentation with
>     Bruce Mah that notes the removal of rcOG in 5.1, what the
>     benefits of rcNG is, and any transition steps neede by
>     users and developers.

This was planned all along, but it's good that you pointed it out as a
necessary step. Bruce and I already had one marginally related
conversation about this, and I'll be glad to wrap this topic up with him,
or anyone else from re@ that needs more details.

> 2.  The issue of /etc/netstart should be addressed.

Mike sent in one canidate for this already. If the people here who rely on
netstart could give it a go, we'll commit it asap. I'm glad this issue was
raised, and of course, if there is anything else missing, please let us
know asap.

The date I have in mind for the axe'ification is May 1. This will give
people who haven't caught up on e-mail yet a chance to respond, and give
us a few days (including the weekend) to fix anything else that needs
fixing before the expected code freeze on 5/5. If re@ has any more
concrete plans than that for the freeze, or would like to suggest an
alternate date for removing rcOG, then I'm happy to reconsider this.

Thanks,

Doug