Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 14:52:45 -0700
From:      Tony Costa <acosta@intergate.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Simplicity.

hello folks,
I am a very dedicated computer lover and I intend to try FreeBSD in my
computer.
The configuration of my computer is fine, but the complexity of the
instalation makes me cry.
Computers were created to make things simple, not complicated for men.
The reason Microsoft and Apple are so famous all ,over the world is the
simplicity and directness of their applications and approach. I own a pc
and when I need to install
something, I go, download the program and click setup, or the program
file if it is an exe file, even zip, but i know it is allthere and i
donot have to gather anything , just click the file to install the OS.
Now with FreeBSD, I go to the ftp site and it is a total confusion for
the common computer user. I have no idea which is the real program or
what should I download!!! The information is confusing and extremely
technical.The versio 2.2.2 ( most recent one) has tons of directories
and no clue which one IS THE OS iteself. If you all want more people to
enjoy your creation, you should make it real simple and direct to
obtain.
Indicate clearly which file is the one to download that contains the
whole OS and try to make it as simple as it is to install windows 95 or
win3.1 or even DOS for that matter. The days where computers were only
for nerds and total weird affictionados of computing are OVER!! I still
go to universities and I have to argue with the computer lab technicians
to make things simple and easy for the people that never spend 4 to 5
years only studying computers.
I want to install FreeBSD, but I need some help regarding WHAT to
download from the ftp site.
What file do I download??? There are so many directories that i do not
know what I place in each floppy so I can install later,like win3.1, one
floppy at a time and it is done. Can you clarify it for me and my
friends so we can try your OS???
Try to make it very simple and direct so absolutely no confusion are
created.
Even though I know Microsoft is not liked at all by the real computer
hackers the simplicity and directness of their applications is a good
thing it should be imitated.
I appreciate anything that leads me to the right directon without the
need for me to take a full computer course.
Thank you.
Tony Costa