Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:09:47 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        core@freebsd.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current SMP status inquiry

Hi,

> > SMP itself is fairly stable, runs on most MP machines it has been tried
> > on, and is considered ALPHA level.  It is capable of running "make world"
> > on current without problem.
>
> That's great.  Is it possible to get a diff against some version of
> -current that i could put up on that CD-ROM?  I'm planning an either
> 2.2-POST-BETA or 3.0-current SNAPshot on that CD, but would provide
> the SMP diffs for the curious.  Are they kernel only, or is the
> userland code also affected?

it consists of a seperate src/sys tree, which replaces the one in current.
A word of caution here, every so often current gets far enough ahead of SMP
to cause subtle problems, and a few problem reports this weekend indicate
we may have reached that point again.  My suggestion is that you get Peter
to do a merge at the point where you grab a 3.0-SNAP to guarantee a
working combination.  The "getting started" page on the web site I
quotedpreviously will give the details for cvsupping the tree.  On freefall
I believe you will find it in /home/smp.

> Any ``authoritative'' note about the status of the SMP work (known
> bugs, next steps) would also be appreciated, something i could leave
> on the CD as a README.SMP, for example.

one of the positions we need filled is a "librarian", ie  someone who will
collect the various mail that has such info and collate into usable documents.
much of this info has crossed the transom, but there is no organization of
it at all.  Peter did a nice mailing about what he saw as necessary to
be done b4 we could put SMP into current (features, bugs to fix, etc.)
but last time I tried to find I had no success.

there is a "to.do" file at the head of the tree.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD