Date:      Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:26:44 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Michael Hope <michaelh@earthling.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compressed executables in low memory environements

Michael Hope wrote:

> You might be interested in the LZO library:
>
> http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/lzo.html
>
> The compression isnt that great (files are, say, 15% bigger when
> compressed than the equivalent file compressed with gzip), but the
> decompression routine is _incredibly_ fast and doesnt require a dictonary.

Err... having a dictionary was a plus... :-) We want a "fixed-block"
compression. For example, so that I could decompress any 512-bytes
block of it (aligned on 512, of course :) without context. Well,
statistical compression algorithms could be used too, but the ones
giving decent compress ratios depend on context.

The dictionary based ones are easy to adapt, because all you need to
do is dump the dictionary and begin again each time you reach a
block boundary.

Incidentally, RAR has something similar. It adds "context" data
every so and so bytes, so that you can recover data from partically
damaged files. Or that's what I think they do, anyway... :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	Would you mind not shooting at the thermonuclear weapons?