Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:15:41 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell D800 and wireless ethernet card

I just got myself a Dell D800 laptop.  Really it is woking rather well -
one of the hard parts was the video card, because the nvidia driver
would just cause the computer to completely freeze.  But googling "Linux
1680x1050" gave me some appropriate ModeLine so that the nv driver now
works.

But I digress.  This laptop comes with a Dell WLAN 1350 wireless
ethernet card.  I was able to get a driver by using the Windows driver
with ndis, and this does indeed work.  (I did have to surpress -Werror
in compiling the kernel.)

My problem is how to control this ethernet card.  For example, the wi
dirver comes with wicontrol.  In particular, I did get the ethernet card
to connect to a wireless hub (indeed dhclient ndis0 succeeded
admirably).  But I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the ethernet
card without rebooting the computer.

Perhaps ndis is still in its early development, and I just need to wait
for a "ndiscontrol" function or such like to come along.  Or is there
some other way?

Thanks, Stephen